Sunday, April 27, 2008

Rice Shortages

Saturday night my wife sent me to the store to pick up some groceries. While there I thought I would be smart and pick up some rice. Yeah, they were COMPLETELY out of rice. There was some rice-a-roni and a couple of small boxes of Minute Rice. However, every bulk box or bag was gone. A little strange when you take into consideration that as Americans we have not seen such shortages in decades, perhaps a century.

I was working on a church lessontoday and was reminded how important it is to be prepared for future events.

When I got home I expressed my concern that there wasn't any rice in the store. She pointed out the 100 pounds we had downstairs in storage that we hadn't opened since we purchased it a year ago. My desire for rice was based on the shortage, not the demand. Anyway, it is amazing to see how human we are when we hear of shortages and move to hoard any food we can.

By the way, I am on a diet and haven't had rice in two months. Why should I care if there is a rice shortage?

No comments: